Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hot Summer Night Soup

Well with the Fourth of July just around the corner its safe to say summer is finally here, and in full swing. The weather here is finally cooperating and this heat makes me quite happy.  But when it's this hot outside forget turning on the oven! Luckily summer time means fresh fruit mania, sweet juicy treats just waiting to perk up those taste buds and rehydrate our bodies. I have been finding the most perfect cantaloupes lately for very good prices so i decided to whip up a raw cantaloupe soup. Cold soups are popular all year round but I think they are just perfect for those hot nights when you're exhausted from the heat and you just want something cold and now!  There are so many wonderful flavor combinations to choose from that you really cant go wrong.  I have some perfectly ripe peaches in the fridge right now from our CSA that would be great in a soup. Don't be scared because the worst that can happen is you accidentally make a great fruit smoothie!
Any way this is the soup I made give it a try and see what you think!

1/2 Cantaloupe
1/3 cup coconut water
1/2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp lime zest
1/2 tsp cardamom.....after i finished eating this I thought ERRR WHY DIDN'T I USE CORIANDER!? try that if you'd like.  I find it has a fruitier taste that would be perfect for this soup. But i have such a love affair with cardamom <3
1 tsp fresh ginger
pinch of sea salt
bigger pinch of sugar
Berries to garnish
a few mint leaves from the garden
and I think cinnamon sticks are beautiful!

Throw this all in your food processor or a blender until smooth and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Good day! We were in Rockport the other day and saw the knitting of plastic bags by I believe - your Grandmother and you - We're interested in carrying your work in our country store. Could you contact me? Thank you!
    Larry Bearfield
    Ferns Country Store
    Carlisle, MA
    Larry@FernsCountryStore.com

    ReplyDelete